Watermelon Feta Salad
As demonstrated at our Club Meeting on July 3, 2022
by Ellen Harcourt
Serves: 8 people.
Preparation time: 30 minutes.
- 8 lb. Whole Seedless Watermelon
- ¼ C. Olive Oil
- 3 Limes, juiced
- 1½ t. Salt
- ¾ t. Black Pepper
- 1 C. Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped
- 1½ C. Crumbled Feta Cheese
• Cut the rind off the Melon and cut the flesh into ½ to ¾ inch pieces. Drain in a colander.
• Whisk together Oil, Lime Juice, Salt and Pepper to make the dressing.
• Place the drained Watermelon in a salad bowl. Pour dressing and Mint over it and toss. Add the Feta Cheese last and toss gently. Serve immediately.
"Feta Cheese" - It's a brined white cheese from Greece, made with sheep's milk, but sometimes with sheep and goat's milk too. There is no skin and it is soft, flakey and creamy, like Cottage Cheese. It's made in large blocks and aged in brine for 3 months or more. It's primarily used in salads and pastries, like Spanakopita and Tyopita. Feta is high in Salt, Calcium and Phosphorous. Denmark, the UK, France, Germany and the US produce Feta but it might be made from cow's milk instead. Read the label to be sure.
All content Copyright © 2006- The Villages Gourmet Club. All rights reserved. No part may be included in another website or advertisement.